In 2016, the cumulative worldwide volume of the the following CVD procedures is projected to approach 15.05 million surgical and transcatheter interventions:
- roughly 4.73 million coronary revascularization procedures via CABG and PCI (or about 31.4% of the total),
- close to 4 million percutaneous and surgical peripheral artery revascularization procedures (or 26.5% of the total);
- about 2.12 million cardiac rhythm management procedures via implantable pulse generator placement and arrhythmia ablation (or 14.1% of the total);
- over 1.65 million CVI, DVT, and PE targeting venous interventions (representing 11.0% of the total);
- more than 992 thousand surgical and transcatheter heart defect repairs and valvular interventions (or 6.6% of the total);
- close to 931 thousand acute stroke prophylaxis and treatment procedures (contributing 6.2% of the total);
- over 374 thousand abdominal and thoracic aortic aneurysm endovascular and surgical repairs (or 2.5% of the total); and
- almost 254 thousand placements of temporary and permanent mechanical cardiac support devices in bridge to recovery, bridge to transplant, and destination therapy indications (accounting for about 1.7% of total procedure volume).
CABG: Coronary artery bypass graft; PCI: Percutaneous coronary intervention; AAA: Abdominal aortic aneurysm; TAA: Thoracic abdominal aneurysm; CVI: Chronic venous insufficiency; DVT: Deep vein thrombosis; PE: Pulmonary embolectomy.