Saw a post by Jon Speer of Creo Quality (creoquality.com) reflecting on the closure by Hologic of its Indiana business that was originally represented by Suros Surgical, which Hologic acquired in 2006.
For the sake of curiosity, I took a peek at our Medtech Startups Database to see what other startups we have recorded in Indiana. All of these were founded within the past eight years:
- Altiss Medical LLC (Indianapolis) — Medical device manufacturing.
- Arthroplasty Innovations LLC (Carmel) — Devices to facilitate knee replacement
- Biospine, LLC (Columbia City) — Surgical instruments, including blunt dissection and tissue elevation instrument.
- DTherapeutcs, LLC (Zionsville) — Developing technologies to visualize vascular junctions in order to enhance ablation in treatment of atrial fibrillation.
- FlowCo, Inc. (Indianapolis) — Catheter-based device designed to provide real-time feedback to interventional cardiologists on lumen cross-sectional area in order to assist in sizing and delivering stents.
- ICONACY Orthopedic Implants, LLC (Warsaw) — Orthopedic implants.
- Nanovis, Inc. (Columbia City) — Nanotechnology-based products with appications in orthopedics, neurosurgery, cardiology and dentistry.
- OrthoPediatrics, Corp. (Warsaw) — Orthopedic devices for pediatric and other small stature patients.
- Quantum OPS, Inc. (Fort Wayne) — Patient positioning systems for the orthopedic surgical suite.
- SonarMed, Inc. (West Lafayette) — Technologies to facilitate intubation.
- UroMend LLC (Marion) — – Male urinary incontinence device.
- VOT, LLC (Warsaw) — Tibial prosthesis.
- Zorion Medical, Inc. (Indianapolis) — Bioabsorbable drug-eluting stent using novel biomaterials, drug and drug delivery technology.
(Note, please, that I have not revisited this list to update any changes in location, ownership or product/technology focus. I will make a note to do so!)
This is respectable number of companies focused on medtech alone and I anticipate that more will follow (a couple of these were founded since 2010).