Surgical sealants, glues, and hemostats are now a routine part of closing and managing wounds, with their use determined by demand from patients, surgeons, and healthcare systems that has in turn been enabled by innovations from technology development.
From our global analysis of sealants, glues, and hemostats, here are the elements that determine the forecast for their sales:
- Product adoption trends, driven by better formulations, especially for use in MIS and other applications
- Growth in different formulations developed for different clinical applications
- Geographic market growth patterns and trends
- Patient preferences
- Growth in minimally invasive surgical procedures
- Growth in products designed to work in MIS procedures
- Growth rates driven by growing clinical utility
- Surgeon preferences and adoption rate
- Geographic market shifts (slowing growth rates in the U.S. and burgeoning growth in A/P, especially China due to its effort to modernize its healthcare system)
- Demographically driven population shifts — age-related demand
- Growth in surgical procedure volumes in MIS and other applications
- Growth in the # of procedures performed in ambulatory surgical centers and doctors offices
Companies in the Market
Companies focused on wound closure find plenty of competition. Below is a selected list of current companies active in this field. M&A and even new startups will mold this list over the next five years.
Adhesys Medical, Adhezion Biomedical LLC, Advanced Medical Solutions, Arch Therapeutics, B. Braun Melsungen AG, Baxter, Cellphire, Chemence Medical, Cohera Medical, Connexicon Medical Ltd., Covalon Technologies, Covidien (Medtronic), CR Bard, CryoLife, CSL Behring, Endomedix, Entegrion, Ethicon (JNJ), Gecko Biomedical, Grifols International, Hyperbranch Medical, Integra LifeSCiences, LifeBond, Mallinckrodt, Medline Industries, Meyer-Haake GmbH, Ocular Therapeutics, Pfizer, Sealantis, Suneris.
The cumulative result of all these forces, drivers, and trends is a market with significant growth in some geographic markets and specific products. One need only consider the hemostat market to recognize these trends.