October 2012 financings are off to a very strong start as a result of several big financings, including:
- $76.2 million funding received by interventional cardiology company LifeTech Scientific from Medtronic
- $76 million ($16M in September) raised by Vital Therapies, a company developing a bioartificial liver;
- $45 million for EnteroMedics, a device maker focused on obesity and other GI conditions;
- $45 million for aesthetic cell therapy company FibroCell Sciences; and
- $40 million for Alimera Sciences, who is developing an intravitreal implant for treatment of chronic diabetic macular edema.
As a result of these and other, smaller financings, the total financings for the first fifteen days of October 2012 are already at $465 million which compares to $270 million for the entire month of September.
The list of fundings by company for the month of October are here. (Check back during the month for ongoing updates to this list.)