Financings in medical technology reached $451 million in December, bringing the total financings in medtech to over $5.2 billion for 2011. This is more than a 42% increase over the total for 2010, reflecting growing confidence in the future prospects for medtech:
Source: MedMarket Diligence, LLC
Noteworthy financings during the month of December include the following:
- HeartFlow, Inc. ($65M) — cardiovascular diagnostics based on computed tomography measurement of functional flow reserve
- AcuFocus, Inc. ($42M) — corneal inlay implant for vision correction
- Tissue Regenix Group plc ($39M) — tissue decellularization to reduce immunogenicity of tissue transplants
- Uptake Medical Corp. ($35M) — endoscopic lung volume reduction
- Ember Therapeutics ($34M) — treatments of metabolic orders (e.g., diabetes) and obesity
- Hansen Medical, Inc. ($30M) — catheter robotics technologies
The complete list of medtech financings for the month of December 2011 is shown at link.
For the month-by-month totals of medtech financing in 2010 and 2011, with links to lists of companies financed, see our prior post.