Below are medtech financings in March 2009 totaling in excess of $359 million (some funding amounts undisclosed). These are med-device-heavy, since our focus is on medical device companies and those competing with or complementary to them.
- Cardima, Inc. (CRDM) Completes $20 Million Private Placement (device company focused on the treatment of atrial fibrillation (AF))
- Medical device co EarlySense raises $2M in private placement (patient monitoring technology)
- NuOrtho Surgical raises $1M in private financing (devices for minimally invasive orthopedic surgery)
- Ikano Therapeutics, Inc. (fka Intranasal Therapeutics) closes $18M series B round (intranasal epilepsy drug)
- Scoliosis device maker SpineForm raises $1.25 million (developing "spine staple" to correct scoliosis without surgery)
- Obesity-fighting startup EndoMetabolic Solutions lands $3.8M
- Minnow Medical Inc., stealth company developing a radiofrequency-based medical device treatment for peripheral-artery disease, is raising an undisclosed amount of Series C financing.
- SEMPRUS BioSciences Corp. (formerly Stericoat) has raised $8 million in Series A financing (anti-microbial and anti-thrombogenic coating for medical devices)
CircuLite Completes Initial Close on $33 Million Series C Financing Plan (micro-pump for partial circulatory support in patients with heart failure)
SynCardia Systems Inc. said it is set to close on a $6 million Series D round that soon could be expanded to $9 million (temporary artificial heart)
NeoMatrix, Inc. adds $1.2 million to $30 million previously raised in Series C round (non-invasive breast screening device)
Salutaris Medical Devices, Inc., receives $2 million in funding (undisclosed ophthalmic devices)
CorAssist Cardiovascular Ltd., has raised $5.25 million in a private financing led by Aurum Ventures MKI (novel therapeutic devices for diastolic heart failure)
DGIMed Ortho, Inc., has received $3.2 million in a Series A financing (system to assist orthopedic surgeons in the delivery of long bone intramedullary nail implants)
Rhythmia Medical, Inc. has received a $200,000 Phase ! SBIR Grant from NIH (system for 3D mapping of heart during procedure for catheter ablation of arrhythmia)
Link Medicine lands $40M in Series C round (treatments addressing misfolded neurotoxic proteins causing neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s)
Ardian, Inc., has received $47 million in new financing from Medtronic, Advanced Technology Ventures, Split Rock Partners, and Emergent Medical Partners (a developer of catheter-based treatment for hypertension)
Medical device company Medigus raises $52 million in IPO (endoscopic system for treatment of GERD)
Neovista, a Fremont, Calif.-based biotech company specializing in eye diseases, says it raised $18 million in a fourth round of funding to commercialize its new device.
Nexstim Oy, a medical device company developing non-invasive brain imaging technologies, has raised $8.1 million (EUR 6 million)
Neuraltus raises $17M in first round (small molecule drugs for neurodegenerative diseases)
Atritech, Inc., has completed a $30 million round of financing (products for treatment of atrial fibrillation and embolic protection)
Pathway Medical lands generous $40M to treat arterial disease (non-invasive catheter to remove arterial blockages)
MicroTransponder closes $2 .2 Million Series A round to develop a wireless neurostimulation system for chronic pain.